iTunes 11 File Sharing?

kevinagot

12 Dec, 2012 06:48 PM

Given the new iTunes 11 UI, how do I file share in the Apps section? It is a completely new, minimal layout that just makes things confusing.

I've attached a screenshot of my concern.

1. Support Staff 2 Posted by emolina on 14 Dec, 2012 12:22 AM

You have to select your device, not the iTunes aps area. Let me know if that helps, I'm not sure where to press on your screenshot to make it happen.

2. 3 Posted by kevinagot on 14 Dec, 2012 02:47 AM

Here's a screenshot. However, how do I "add" a file to ComicZeal via the new
    iTunes 11? I've been adding files from the iTunes desktop onto my idevice for years. However, nos the UI is totally different from previous versions. The current version is stripped down. The current set of directions no longer apply to the new,
    bared down desktop UI.

Please give me a step-by-step walkthrough since it is now different.

V/R,

Kevin Agot

3. 4 Posted by kevinagot on 14 Dec, 2012 02:09 PM

I figured it out. Please close out this thread.

4. 5 Posted by Will on 17 Dec, 2012 03:51 AM

Hey Kevin,

I too am having the same problem with the new itunes. I like the new layout and such, but I am lost on how to share files from my iphone apps to the computer. You've figured it out, but can you now help me please?

Thank you,
                      Will Jennings

5. 6 Posted by kevinagot on 19 Dec, 2012 12:35 PM

Sure thing, Will. Once plugged in, located at the top right hand corner (to the left of the iTunes Store button) there is a button noting your iPhone with a drop down arrow. Where I made a mistake was I first clicked the arrow causing my iPad to disconnected from my laptop preventing it from being synced. However, when I click on the left-side of the same button avoiding the drop down arrow, I was brought to the Summary app page along with all the relevant tabs (i.e.) Apps, Music, Photos, etc. Hope this helps.

6. 7 Posted by lucas on 19 Dec, 2012 03:04 PM

im on this screen ( screen shot attached ) normally above the app that are shown there is a section that says file share but its not on and i'm not sure how to get it up?

7. 8 Posted by kevinagot on 19 Dec, 2012 03:12 PM

Although there isn't a scroll bar on the right side of the iTunes desktop app designating that the page is longer than what my screen displays, if you scroll down, you'll see the file sharing area.

8. 9 Posted by lucas on 19 Dec, 2012 03:18 PM

Wow! i am sooooo dopy. iv'e been freaking out about this for soo long, im using it to add custom ringtones. thanks man. wow, blonde moment

9. 10 Posted by kevinagot on 19 Dec, 2012 03:26 PM

No problemo. This streamlined version of iTunes 11 just seemed to bring
    about more confusion...at least for me.

V/R,

Kevin Agot

10. 11 Posted by albeline on 31 Dec, 2012 03:10 AM

Kevin/Lucas - Can you please post a screenshot of the file sharing area? Still struggling

11. 12 Posted by Tony on 01 Jan, 2013 03:08 AM

I was stressing about the same issue for half an hour. Stupid iTunes update.

Just tap on the screen next to the aps, then use your arrow keys to scroll down. Idiotic redesign. Really.

12. 13 Posted by dale on 15 Jan, 2013 02:55 AM

You actually have to have installed at least one app which supports file sharing before the file sharing section will display

13. 14 Posted by j_choate on 30 Jan, 2013 04:48 PM

Same issue - no File Sharing section.

Installed iBooks. Still have no File Sharing section.

14. 15 Posted by j_choate on 30 Jan, 2013 05:04 PM

Apparently, iBooks is not one of the apps that is recognized as "supporting file sharing."

Potentially an issue - client may not want to have to provide 150 Apple IDs in order to download and install Adobe Reader just to get 2 PDFs on each iPad.

15. 16 Posted by vannesse on 09 Feb, 2013 11:15 AM

hi all, i am stil having a problem, i have a friend who has a mac and the scrolling works but i have a pc, and i just cant figure out how to do this.

16. Support Staff 17 Posted by emolina on 11 Feb, 2013 05:24 AM

Hmm, I had this issue too, you have to make sure that the cursor isn't on the list of apps when you try to scroll, it's got to be outside it.

Really bad design as has been mentioned earlier.

17. 18 Posted by Lloyd Grounds on 17 Feb, 2013 02:15 AM

I am having the same problem but I can not seem to scroll to the File Sharing area. I have tried tapping everywhere but it will not more. You can see on the screen I have Access Client on my iPhone which is definitely an app that supports File Sharing. This is really frustrating!!!!

18. Support Staff 19 Posted by emolina on 28 Feb, 2013 01:06 AM

Lloyd, so how are you using Access Client?

19. 20 Posted by vannesse weir on 28 Feb, 2013 03:07 AM

i have solved my problem: my scroll bar was not appearing because the
    screen size of my itunes did not fit my computer screen.... very simple
    fix, but took me hours to figure it out.

20. 21 Posted by Chantel on 28 Feb, 2013 05:43 AM

My file sharing area isn't available, I've tried scrolling and everything. My apps aren't even appearing to the left under the apps section. Please help !

21. Support Staff 22 Posted by emolina on 07 Mar, 2013 04:19 AM

Chatel, do you have Comic Zeal installed?

22. 23 Posted by Daniel on 15 Mar, 2013 03:03 PM

Hello.

I have the same problem. My File Sharing is missing either. Can you please help me?

23. 24 Posted by Daniel on 15 Mar, 2013 03:11 PM

Hello.

I have the same problem but my scroll bar is visible. Can you please help me?

24. 25 Posted by Pidah Kloos on 19 Mar, 2013 03:35 PM

I cannot for the life of my mother figure out how to find the mother%&$#? filesharing son of a &%$ button. Where the #$"@ is it?!

I need to back up iTalk recordings before i smash my much hated and dying iPhone 3 out the fuck. But I've been spending the last 45 minutes trying to figure out how to do this. Any help will be very much welcomed.

-pidah

25. 26 Posted by Vannesse on 19 Mar, 2013 04:09 PM

I had a problem scrolling down to the file sharing, and finally figured out that the screen of iTunes was too big for my screen which resulted in me not seeing the scroll bar on the far right to scroll down... I just dragged my screen size smaller and it appeared now I am happily sharing files...

26. 27 Posted by dbeatttie on 26 Mar, 2013 11:47 PM

to fix the problem. go to top right. click on the little square box to reduce the scree size. then you will see the file sharing menu. really poor design.

27. 28 Posted by Sharon on 15 Apr, 2013 07:51 AM

Thank a lot for the discussions. It helps a lot to solve my problem.
    Best, Sharon

28. 29 Posted by aamerica on 28 Aug, 2013 09:04 PM

Hello I am having a similar issue.

I know how to locate the file sharing tab on the apps for my ipad and I can drag and drop the files but the ipad nor the iphone do not recognize the new files in the file sharing folder.....

Help please!

29. 30 Posted by Dan on 23 Mar, 2014 11:04 AM

Thanks for help. Wrestling with this (iTunes 11) for hours. I think this is how I resolved transferring files from my iPad.
    In 'View' turned on the side bar. Made sure I was actually synced. Then clicked in the space next to the iPad button, and the file share menus appeared. Just hope I can remember it next time I need it.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac