Two-page rendering issue

clemon79

03 Jun, 2016 10:29 PM

(I realized I probably put this in the wrong forum initially. Apologies for the cross-post.)

I just bought Comic Zeal for my new iPad (and really like it!) and I am noticing something: two-page mode is rendering wrong in many cases.

Expected behavior: Page 1 (cover) displays on its own, subsequent pages display as a two-page spread.

What I'm seeing: Page 1 displays on its own, Page 2 displays on its own, subsequent pages display as a two-page spread.

I think the assumption is that the inside-front-cover is never being included, which is not always the case. (That said, I apparently do have some titles where this *is* the case, so I see why this decision might have been made.)

It would be extremely useful to have some kind of option for odd-or-even two-page mode. (so, 1, 2, 3-4, 5-6, etc vs. 1, 2-3, 4-5, etc.) Interface-wise, maybe you have another tap option on the page-mode icon that reads "2-3" as opposed to "1-2", then goes back to "1". This would make it really easy for the user to switch it up in-book if they discover it's needed.

Another nicety that I see other readers use would be to be able to set this independently for portrait vs. landscape mode, so when I rotate the iPad it goes to two-page while maintaining single-page in portrait if I want.

Thanks!

-- Chris

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by emolina on 08 Jun, 2016 02:04 AM

Chris, if you turn off and then on two page mode it starts making two pages from whichever page you are on. So that's a quick fix for it.

I'm not sure what a long-term fix for the issue would be because as you mentioned, both make sense in a way.

2. 2 Posted by clemon79 on 08 Jun, 2016 02:20 AM

Oh, you're right; I couldn't make it do this before for some reason. I agree that that's a decent solution.

I stand by my request for remembering the setting depending on device orientation!

Thanks for the reply! :)

-- Chris

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by emolina on 10 Jun, 2016 01:33 AM

Chris, I liked your idea of two-page too but the logic begins to become a little un-intuitive for people that don't ever want to see the two pages together.

So if they have it showing only one page in portrait, then they turn it to landscape now they're annoyed! it's showing two again. So they turn it off.

Fine, but what if they've now changed their mind? they set it to two pages again in landscape, now they go back to portrait and it's showing one again!

They're getting super annoyed, and they leave me a bad review and I'm sad.

The real issue is that there will be TWO page mode settings, and it's hard to convey that in the interface and still keep it reasonably intuitive.

4. 4 Posted by clemon79 on 10 Jun, 2016 03:26 PM

That's totally fair. The other app I saw that done in (Chunky) has a third tap that is an "auto" setting (the icon has an "A" in it instead of just a single or double page) and in the "auto" mode it's single-paged in portrait and double (aside from the cover and page 1, as in yours) in landscape. (And I know there's another app that had it all buried in settings...you told it specifically how you wanted it in portrait vs. landscape. Theirs is easier to tune to a personal preference (but a bigger pain if you have to flip it to fix the pagination issue we started this discussion with); yours is better surfaced but a little less automated.) Both are totally valid design decisions and erring on the side of simplicity makes sense. (And now that I know how to fix the pagination issue with a quick toggle it's very easy to work with.)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac