Comic Zeal App keeps crashing recently

Joshua

30 Jun, 2016 06:41 AM

The app keeps crashing....
Comics take very long to load
Worse part is if I remove the app, I will lose everything.
Anyway to copy out the files other than the Save To.....which on a Mac doesn't keep them as CBR but folders instead
Very frustrating app.
Working fine one minute, and not the next.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by emolina on 14 Jul, 2016 04:48 AM

I'm chasing some crashing bugs right now, can you tell me if you see anything at all (collection view, comic page etc) before it crashes?

2. 2 Posted by Ax on 17 Jul, 2016 12:06 PM

Emolina
    Note attached screenshot.
    This is as far as it goes.
    Get a few seconds of this incompletely loaded folder and then a black screen for half a second as it closes.
    Then it's back to home screen.
    Full uninstall, factory reset and restore does not work and no failed imports

Ax

3. 3 Posted by David on 18 Jul, 2016 09:26 AM

Ax do you mind my asking what kind of ipad you're using? I haven't had this happen on my iphone 6 yet, and I'm wondering if it's the older devices that are causing us issues. (That said, I'm sure emolina has taken that into consideration).

It'd be a shame if ipad 2's were out, CZ, netflix and plex are the only things that I (could) still use my one for.

4. 4 Posted by Ax on 18 Jul, 2016 10:46 AM

David, it's an iPad Mini 1 with version 9.3.2 on it.
    Didn't happen before the last upgrade of CZ, so your theory could have some merit.
    Would be sad if they relegated the older devices to the dumpster...

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by emolina on 26 Jul, 2016 06:28 AM

Hi everyone, I found the cause of this bug today. I had not throttled back the generation of thumbnails for comic series. Normally the thumbnails get generated one at a time when comics are imported so it's not an issue.

When there has been an app update however they all have to be generated again (sometimes!) and it was being done all at once by mistake instead of one at a time.

On newer devices it's fine because everything can fit into memory ok, and on older devices I think it was ok most of the time too, but every once in a while the combination of an older device, with a list of comics that may be of a higher resolution caused a crash.

I hope to get this fixed in the next few days and out to be betas for testing soon.

6. 6 Posted by David on 29 Jul, 2016 07:21 AM

Worked indeed! Hurrah for Em, good work sir.

7. 7 Posted by Dion on 21 Aug, 2016 05:53 AM

Hi, I have exactly the same problem on a Ipad 2. How can I fix this issue?

8. 8 Posted by Stuart on 21 Aug, 2016 12:39 PM

Same thing happens now on my iPad 2 can I get a fix asap please

9. 9 Posted by Matt on 12 Sep, 2016 06:21 AM

I'm getting the same issue- I hadn't been getting it before, but not sure when I last read a comic / installed that many at once. I'm using an iPad 2 with latest iOS and latest comic zeal. Any news on when updated version will be available?

10. 10 Posted by Andrej on 12 Sep, 2016 09:55 PM

App keeps crashing when I try to import bigger files in the CBZ format. I deleted the app an reinstalled it, and still have the problem. Now I can't use the app at all unless I want to delete and reinstall it again.
    I have downloaded the file from the Humble store directly on to the Chunky reader app, and from there I tried to copy it into ComicZeal.
    I use an IPad Air 2 with iTunes 9.3.4
    File size is 0.6GB

11. 11 Posted by Jack McCarthy on 12 Sep, 2016 10:46 PM

I'm having the same issues. It took a few tries to get comics to import without crashing but now when the list comes up, I get the titles but crashes before thumbnails appear. I'm on an iPad 2 with the latest version of OS. Thanks.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac